AudioFeline

Classical: Currently Spinning...

Wendy Carlos - Switched-On Brandenburgs

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos have to be one of the best pieces of classical composition.  The traditional instrumentation displays a wonderful interplay of tonality and variety that I always find invigorating. 

This is a compilation of Wendy Carlos' experimentation with reproducing the Brandenburgs on the then new and experimental Mood synthasiser, demonstrating the instrument was capable of producing more than interesting electronic sounds.  Some of these were first published on the groundbreaking Switched on Bach; it's nice to be able to enjoy all of the concertos compiled onto 2 CDs.   It's amazing that Carlos produced wonderful interpretations on what is now such primitive equipment. 

BrandNew.jpg.pagespeed.ce.6uRL-zH-O3.jpg

Listened to some Stravinsky.  The Mercury Living Presence 3-microphone recordings are stunning, esp. when you consider that they were recorded in the 1950's.  And I have the redbook CD, I believe the SACD is better.

28943201223.jpg?1464797465